Senin, 22 Desember 2014



Compound Sentence
. A compound sentence has two or Independent clause sentences. The independent clauses can be joined by a coordinating sentences (such as "and," "for" and "but") or a semicolon. A simple sentence consists of only one clause. A compound sentence consists of two or more independent clauses. A complex sentence has at least one independent clause plus at least one dependent clause. A set of words with no independent clause may be an incomplete sentence, also called a sentence fragment. A sentence consisting of one or more dependent clauses plus two or more independent clauses may be called a complex-compound sentence or compound-complex sentence
Examples :

1
simple sentence
I like pumpkin pie.

2
compound
I don't know how to bake, so I buy my sweets.

3
complex
I enjoyed the apple pie that you bought for me.

4
compound-complex (also known as complex-compound)
The dog lived in the garden, but the cat, who was smarter, lived inside the house.

5
sentence fragment
What a silly dog.


The simple sentence in example 1 contains one clause.
Example two has two clauses (I don't know how to bake and I buy my sweets), combined into a single sentence with the coordinating conjunction so.
 In example 3, I enjoyed the apple pie is an independent clause, and that you bought for me is a dependent clause; the sentence is thus complex.
 In sentence 4, The dog lived in the garden and the cat lived inside the house are both independent clauses; who was smarter is a dependent clause.
Example 5 features a noun phrase but no verb. It is not a grammatically complete clause.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar